Hey there! Here’s every little thing attention-grabbing in African know-how at this time. Not subscribed? Click right here to get this goodness in your mailbox every single day at 7am (GMT + 1).
1. First of all, correction: Nigeria doesn’t have 60 million bank account homeowners/holders. The quantity is definitely lower than half of that, going by the variety of bank verification numbers, that are the target proxy for a way many bank account holders there are in Nigeria. We ought to have noticed and referred to as out apparent doodoo within the iAfrikan report about KiaKia. Many due to Tayo Oviosu for calling us to order.
+ Bonus: There are over 97 million bank accounts, however similar to energetic traces aren’t equal to distinctive customers in telco parlance, the variety of distinctive bank account holders is a fraction of that quantity. Going by the variety of BVNs, the variety of accounts per Nigerian bank account proprietor is three, and that appears nearly proper as a result of that’s the precise quantity I have. Why this occurs is a dialogue for one more day. Actually, it’s the identical purpose why Nigerians have a couple of cell line. We have main belief points.
2. iFlix, one other Netflix killer wannabe, is increasing to African international locations. All the most effective. Link
three. Our son, Elon, is not taking part in with Donald Trump. Can’t be mates with individuals who fake that local weather change isn’t an actual factor. Link
four. In different local weather change information, listed here are the African international locations that can possible be hit the toughest: Abidjan, Lagos, Cape Town, Durban, Dar es Salaam. Link
5. Kenya has sooner broadband than South Africa. For those that take pleasure in this type of pissing contest, Link
6. Cape Town residents are blaming Airbnb for growing hire costs. Airbnb argues that it’s boosting the economic system. I do know a hashtag for this, however it’s too early on Monday morning. Link
7. South Africa’s Eskom CEO drama continues. The ousted CEO, Brian Molefe is difficult his removing in court docket. However, one among these shenanigans have been reported to have interfered with their gentle. Link
Eight. On Friday, the Nigerian ICT minister inaugurated a committee which is able to ostensibly implement the institution of an ICT college. Whatever the hell that’s alleged to be. It took two years to arrange the committee after the thought was initially conceived, and mentioned committee is stuffed with outdated folks, so I don’t need to take into consideration how lengthy it’ll truly take to, you realize, set up the precise college. This is often known as why Nigerians don’t have good issues. Link
9. In different Nigerian white elephant venture information, the Ministry of Science and Technology has introduced its intention to impart STEM topic data in native languages. Slow clap. Link
+ This could be an incredible concept in the event that they’d found out how you can do it in English within the first place. Don’t even get me began. But then once more, these are the identical people who find themselves congratulating themselves for manufacturing pencils in 2017.
10. Trolling coverage makers just isn’t the reply, nonetheless. Don’t be like Bankole. Here is a tech coverage starter pack for African innovators, by Nanjira Sambuli. Link
11. Some folks have been messing with the brand new South Africa finance minister’s Wikipedia web page. It’s a great factor that Wikipedia entries don’t behave like voodoo dolls, or poor Gigaba Malusi could be lifeless. Link
+ Fun reality, his “English” identify is Knowledge. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to search out out if his siblings is perhaps named Wisdom and Understanding.
12. Looking for coding initiatives in Zimbabwe? Here you go. Link
13. Applications to the British Council’s enterprise accelerator bootcamp for Nigerian companies which might be two years or much less is closing on the seventh of June, don’t boring. Link
14. Applications into the GSMA accelerator are open once more till July. Link
15. The Forloop Women collection is the newest cool factor from Forloop, the developer neighborhood that’s going round, spreading coding hearth throughout Nigeria and different African cities. If you might be in Lagos on the 10th of June, it is best to plan to attend Forloop Women. Link
16. Congratulations to Ventures Platform for crossing the one yr mark. Link
17. Bozoma Saint John has left Apple. I don’t know whether or not to be completely happy or unhappy. If you don’t know who that’s, you might be cancelled. Link
Afrobytes is an annual worldwide Tech Conference connecting companies and know-how leaders, founders, buyers, and coverage specialists with the fastest-growing African tech startups. The inaugural convention will happen in Paris on June Eight-9, 2017, at Le Medef. Find out extra and register right here. Get 25 p.c off with the code TECHCABAL.
Thanks for studying.